The Most Wonderful Time of The Year!

No… I’m not talking about Christmas! It’s back to school time around here! After 2 months filled with kids upon kids (my own 3, plus a home daycare!) I havent had much time or energy for crafting, let alone blogging!

I decided to get my crafty feet wet again with a back to school wreath for the front door. I used a mish-mash of Doodlebug Designs, Simple Stories, Recollections, Crayola and more on this project. Take a look….

IMG_5824

I started with a 12″ flat, chipboard wreath form from Hobby Lobby. At only $2, it was the most expensive part of this project!

203844-0715[5]
Basic chipboard wreath form
I took plain old lined school paper, and I folded & crumpled it. I adhered it to the wreath base using Tombow Liquid glue. That stuff works wonders on paper.

I repeated the crumpled paper look all around the wreath base and doubled up in any spots that looked sparse.

In Cricut design space, I cut out the ‘Back 2 School’ letters. I simply used a sheet of Recollections chalkboard paper from Michael’s to make the chalkboard, no fancy crafting there! I used another sheet of wood grain paper from my stash to create the chalkboard banner.

I adhered 4 craft sticks to the back of the chalkboard once it was all assembled. This helped to stabilize it, since I knew half of it would not be attached to the lined paper. I love how it turned out!

IMG_5826

I let the lined paper and the chalkboard both dry over night.

The next day, I adhered the chalkboard to the wreath and set it aside to dry for a few hours. I wanted to be able to pick it up and decorate it without ruining it.

Now came the fun part! I dug through my ever-growing stash to pick out some cute school themed embellishments!

IMG_5828

I used Doodlebug Designs (mostly Doodlebug, actually!), Simple Stories and Recollections.

The crayons are real Crayola crayons, I glued them to a sheet of cardstock, let them dry overnight, then adhered them to the wreath.

IMG_5827

The final touches were the pencils and the ribbon hanger. I used real #2 pencils, brand new and sharpened. I lay the wreath flat on its back and glued those down. Once again, I let it dry overnight!

The ruler ribbon (from Fabricland) I used to hang the wreath has been in my stash for quite a while, just waiting for the right project. This was definitely it!

This project turned out awesome and better than I had envisioned. I’m so, so happy with it!

Thanks for looking!

melissa-ann

 

 

Advertisements

4 comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s